NEW Development Screenshots and Videos - Unreal Engine

Hello Captains,
Here are some news of #AcrosstheSeas. Currently I'm working on the prototype of the sim in the upcoming Unreal Engine 5 (actually 5.1 🙂 ). Most of the work is at the moment to improve the watercraft physics in UE. One of the next things is to get back the 2d panel and the first person view.
At the same time I'm working on the scenery design. For the first new demos of the sim, I will include all 3 sceneries that are also available in the current Unity alpha version. So Dover/Calais, Rostock Baltic Sea scenery and the harbor area of Cape Town will be included.
The new 64bit floating precision in UE 5.1 works really good so far. So no more origin shifting for larger sceneries are necessary. This is really a big deal and this is the next step to allow very large sceneries. I did a first test with the an earth scaled planet done and it works really well. 😉

One of the most important thing is to find a good solution for wake effects in Unreal. This feature is currently completely missing in the sim.
Thank you to all, for your amazing support. I will do my best, to get done a first Unreal demo of the sim.

d4Bvza.jpg

q8VnlE.jpg

TVgSKN.jpg

Regards
Marko

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • MarkoBarthel changed the title to NEW Development Screenshots and Videos - Unreal Engine
Hello Captains,

After an longer break without any news, here is a small update of the current status of the sim.

After switching the engine to Unreal Engine 5 most of the core features are finished. The watercraft phyiscs and the ship controller are completely written for the new engine. Also ready to go is the weather engine and most features of the water.

Thanks to the Unreal Engine, the sim comes with DirectX 12 and all the new features of UE5 like using Lumen, Nanite, Metasounds and Metahumans. Another great addition is the use of Raytracing and DLSS also for the UE version.

But for the official release, I need to get a few things done. Currently I'm working on the vehicle selection / start location selection and the watercraft 2d / 3d panels.

More news will follow soon... 😉

Regards

Most of the 3d meshes using UE's Nanite feature.
vv9oO5.jpg

ZByXiW.jpg

First and Third Person character with Metahumans. And also windows and some metal materials using Raytracing.
DfIR30.jpg

QLi5SR.jpg

6vGhh7.jpg

Regards
Marko

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Sneak peak of the status of Across the Seas. The Unreal Engine version coming along very nicely. Most of the basic things like the menu structure and graphics features are done. The watercraft physics needs a little bit more tweaking for a first release. But I'm quite happy with the physics so far. I'm still amazed of the look and the performance of the water and the weather engine in UE compared to these things in Unity. In the newest internal build of Across the Seas I have also added FSR3 to the engine.

Otherwise the UE version of Across the Seas runes natively in DX12 with UE features like Lumen, Nanite for 3d meshes, an basic implementation of Metasounds and also support of Raytracing effects for glass and metal surfaces and reflections.

pmBGHKugj

po6gTiIFj

pouREl5kj

Marko

• 2 weeks later...